Yesterday morning I woke up with swollen feet, legs and hands. My hands have been falling asleep a lot while I'm sleeping, and my knuckles were very sore. Also my palms and feet were red and somewhat blotchy. Of course, I was a little bit concerned, especially knowing that conditions like pre-eclampsia are more common in twin pregnancies. Though my blood pressure has always been very good (high bp is an indicator of pre-eclampsia), I hadn't been to the doctors in a week and a half and decided to call my OB. The nurse that called back suggested we go to labor and delivery at the hospital for a blood pressure check.
We made our way to the hospital, trying not to be nervous. We didn't have to wait too long to be seen by a nurse - luckily my blood pressure was fine. They hooked me up to the monitors - both babies' heartrates were great, and I wasn't having any regular contractions. The downside was that we had to wait about 3 hours to see the doctor so we could be discharged. They did run some bloodwork, and my platelet count is still low, but the doctor didn't seem too concerned. As we were leaving, the nurse told us she hoped she wouldn't see us for four more weeks :)
Both the nurse and the doctor said we did the right thing by coming in, even though it turned out that nothing was wrong. I actually have carpal tunnel syndrome in my hands due to all the increased fluid, which is why my knuckles are sore and my hands are falling asleep. I know I felt better knowing that everything was normal/okay. Hopefully we won't have any other scares until it's time to deliver these babies!

Sunday, August 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment